Wednesday, December 9, 2009

REFLECTION

This whole experience for me was extremely successful. I have never done any type of service learning program before, and found this very beneficial. I have never realized how different communities truly are. When I first walked into Our Next Generation, I was nervous and not knowing what to expect. The neighborhood alone frightened me a bit because I had never been on that side of town before. But once I entered the building, I felt as if I had absolutely nothing to worry about. Everyone I met at ONG was friendly, helpful, and interested in the research I was doing. I am so thankful of the students that I met during this experience. Adante and Sandra were so helpful to me while conducting this project. They gave me a real perspective on what it's like to live in this specific environment. They told me the hardships they go through daily and how they cope with their problems. I am so glad that these students have a place like Our Next Generation to go to in order to better their lives. These students taught me how to value my life more and made me realize that I had a great life growing up. I could never imagine the hardships these students go through everyday. Even coming from a broken family would affect me greatly. Overall I am very thankful I had this opportunity and will definatley be participating in more service learning programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment